Motor Vehicle Insurance Claims

Car insurance policies are regulated under Section 627.727 of the Florida Statutes. There are several different types of motor vehicle insurance policies available to Florida drivers:

  1. Personal injury protection (PIP) is a type of automobile insurance that covers your medical expenses and, in some cases, lost wages under a statutory minimum. It is also referred to as "no fault" coverage because benefits are paid regardless of whether the insured was at fault in the accident that prompted the claim or not;
  2. Property damage liability (PD or PDL) is a type of motor vehicle insurance coverage that pays for damages caused in an accident to other people's property up to the limits of the coverage you purchased;
  3. Bodily injury liability (BI or BIL) pays for serious injury or death to others when you cause an accident in your automobile.
  4. Underinsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) makes your own insurance company stand in place of the at-fault driver and pay for any portion of bodily injury damages if the other driver does not have bodily injury coverage at all, or pay over and above the at-fault driver's bodily injury coverage if your injuries are greater than the amount of the available bodily injury coverage not covered by his or her policy;

Florida is a no-fault state. This means that every driver must carry at minimum a policy with personal injury protection coverage of at least $10,000, as well as property damage coverage of at least $10,000. We understand that given the current economic circumstances, many Floridians may not be able to afford larger auto insurance policies. However, we have often seen people base their decision on how much motor vehicle insurance they will carry not on how much they can afford, but on how much their vehicle is worth. Please note that a decision on how much insurance you should carry should not be based on the value of your vehicle, but on the value of your assets. It does not make much sense for someone who owns multiple real estate properties, has substantial savings and owns considerable stocks and bonds to just carry the minimal PIP/PD policy required by law because he or she drives a 1974 Pinto…

Similarly, although we are mindful of the current financial crisis, we recommend adding underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage (UM and UIM) to your motor vehicle policy because one in four Florida drivers is uninsured or underinsured. In order to have UM or UIM coverage, a policy must have BI coverage. If you have BI coverage, you can then buy UM and UIM coverage equal to the amount of BI limits. We recommend that you purchase as much BI and UM/UIM coverage as you can afford and, if it is within your budget, purchase "stackable" UM/UIM coverage. What does "stackable" mean? If you have three cars with 130/300 UM/UIM and you have "stackable" coverage, you then have $300,000 in UM/UIM benefits! You have increased the protection for you and your family by three!

Regardless of what type of motor vehicle claim you need help with, Greenberg Stone & Urbano can assist you in the recovery of the compensation you may be entitled to. Our Miami car insurance claims lawyers have more than 130 years of combined experience helping clients with their motor vehicle insurance claims.

After a loss, it is important to get a lawyer involved immediately. Having a Miami car insurance claims lawyer representing you will most likely result in your obtaining the moneys you are entitled to for your loss.

Below please find some useful links to pages where we offer valuable information regarding the types of insurance claims we can help you with.

Property Insurance Claims

Life Insurance Claims

Hurricane Damage Claims

1 For more information on motor vehicle insurance coverage, go to: