Truck accidents injure over 100,000 people annually according to the United States Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Due to the tremendous size of commercial trucks, truck accident victims rarely walk away from the crash unscathed. Back and neck injuries are among the most common injuries suffered by truck accident victims. Even a crash that may appear minor can result in serious neck or back injuries due to the vulnerability of the human spinal cord column that stretches from the neck and down the back. Even a seemingly minor neck or back injury can greatly impact your daily functioning and ability to carry on work activities. Our Miami truck accident lawyers provide the following look at the common types of neck and back injuries caused by truck accidents as well as what you should do if you have sustained a truck accident related neck or back injury:
- Neck Injuries: In nearly any truck accident, the neck is at considerable risk of injury. The back and forth motion experienced in a crash can frequently cause whiplash, but can also lead to more serious injuries such as a broken neck. Neck injuries can take hours or days to develop and complications are common due to the significant impact this injury has on daily work and living tasks.
- Back Injuries: There are several regions of the back that can be impacted by a truck accident. These include:
- Upper Back Injuries: Injuries to the thoracic area of the back are generally quite severe. This part of the spine connects the ribs and chest area. Fractures or sprains to the upper back, which are often caused by high speed truck accidents, may result in permanent nerve damage.
- Lower Back Injuries: The lower back or lumbar area of the spine provides crucial support for the body. A strain or sprain in this area of the back can be extremely painful and may limit your movement to the point that you cannot continue with work functions or perform daily living tasks.
- Herniated Discs: Discs can become herniated when they are displaced due to the force of the accident. This places pressure on the spinal cord and the nerves surrounding it, causing restricted motion and much pain.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are the most devastating back injury. These injures can lead to long term disability and possibly permanent damage. Spinal cord injuries can cause paralysis, causing loss of feeling in the body and loss of motion. Depending upon the location of the spinal cord injury, victims may experience secondary problems like pneumonia, blood clots, and more.
What You Should Do If You Have Sustained a Neck or Back Injury in a Truck Accident
Your first vital step is obtaining medical assistance for your injury. Neck and back injuries may not be readily apparent, so it is best that all truck accident victims be evaluated early on for these injuries as prompt treatment can greatly impact your recovery. Your next important step will be consulting with a truck accident attorney who will fight to see that you obtain a full recovery for your injuries.
Greenberg Stone and Urbano: Put Our Over 130 Years of Collective Experience to Work on Your Case!
If you have suffered a serious injury in a truck accident or lost a loved one in a crash, the Miami Truck Accident Attorneys at Greenberg Stone and Urbano are here to help. We have over 130 collective years of experience representing truck accident victims across South Florida. We seek to obtain the best outcome possible for each of our injured clients, which will often include recovering for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Our firm has received a coveted AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and the Miami Herald recognized us as a top firm in South Florida. Allow our exceptional attorneys to provide you with superior legal services in the South Florida area. Call us at (888) 499-9700 or (305) 595-2400 or visit our website to schedule your initial consultation.