Parking Lot Accident Attorneys in Miami
Representing Victims of Fender-Benders, Pedestrian Accidents & Other Collisions
Parking lots are a breeding ground for fender-benders and pedestrian accidents. With vehicles and pedestrians continuously moving around, parking lot accidents happen quite often. On the one hand, drivers are usually concentrated on finding and taking a parking space before someone else does instead of paying adequate attention to traffic and people. Pedestrians, on the other hand, are often concentrated on the bargain they are hoping to get or trying to find where they parked their cars, instead of paying attention to traffic and cars pulling out of parking spaces.
Thankfully, most parking lot accidents occur at low speeds—but the damages can still be substantial, especially when you have a car hitting a pedestrian. Even when struck at a low speed, a pedestrian can suffer serious injuries when hit by a vehicle that, on average, weighs a ton.
What to Do after a Parking Lot Accident
Even though a parking lot accident may not seem very serious, you still need to protect yourself from potential lawsuits and gather evidence in support of your claim.
The following are some of the things you should do if you are involved in a parking lot accident:
- Park your vehicle in a safe location so as to avoid obstructing traffic and make sure you are out of harm's way.
- If your car was immobilized as a result of the collision, turn on your hazard lights, get out of the car, and find a safe place to wait for help.
- Dial 911 and ask for medical assistance if anyone is hurt.
- Contact the police and make an official police report.
- Notify your insurance company of the accident.
- If you have a cellphone with a camera, take as many photos of the scene of the accident as possible. Photos and videos are a good and easy way to preserve evidence.
- Exchange personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information) with the other driver(s).
- Make sure to get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any potential witnesses.
- Take note of all relevant conditions surrounding the accident and the scene (address, date, time, weather, etc.).
- Contact an attorney if you suffered injuries or if your car suffered extensive damage.
The lawyers of Greenberg, Stone & Urbano have more than 130 years of combined experience with all types of car accident claims, including parking lot accidents. We offer a free initial consultation and work all our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not have to pay us anything unless we recover compensation for you.
Why Call a Lawyer?
If you suffered injuries in a parking lot accident, your best bet is to hire a personal injury attorney who can help you fight to get the compensation you are owed. Because parking lot accidents happen on private property, state traffic laws are usually inapplicable and police officers will rarely issue a ticket. The insurance company for the other driver will have investigators on the scene as soon as possible when injuries have occurred. Therefore, you should work with an experienced Miami parking lot accident lawyer, like those at Greenberg, Stone & Urbano, for the best chance of a favorable outcome in your case.
Our firm dispatches an in-house investigator to the scene of the accident as soon as you contact us. This allows us to preserve evidence that can be otherwise lost and, in some cases, interview witnesses while the events leading to the accident are still fresh in their minds. We also look for store surveillance cameras that may have photographed the accident.
Lawsuits for parking lot accidents can be complicated because witnesses may have opposing opinions and there usually is no police report that lawyers can look at for clarification. With that said, our firm has enough experience to realize that police reports and eyewitness reports are not always accurate, nor do they comport with the physical evidence or the facts. We conduct our own investigation to determine fault and, if we take the case, we are often successful in proving fault, causation, and damages.
Common Injuries Caused by Parking Lot Accidents
As mentioned before, injuries arising from parking lot accidents can be minor or significant. For example, when a pedestrian gets pinned between two vehicles, he or she is likely to suffer fractured or broken bones, crush injuries, and more. Similarly, when a child darts into traffic, grave injuries or even death may occur. In cases where the injuries are substantial and can be potentially life-threatening, it is critical for a lawyer to begin his or her work as soon after the accident as possible.
Some of the injuries we have seen arising from parking lot accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): In some cases, especially those involving low-speed parking lot accidents, the extent of a head injury may not be immediately obvious. However, in time, the victim may start showing symptoms like headaches, dizziness, nausea, visual problems, mood swings, irritability, anxiety, difficulty thinking straight, and strange sensory experiences.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Although paralysis is the most common symptom of a spinal cord injury, other symptoms include loss of sensation, loss of reflex or autonomic activity, loss of bowel or bladder control, sexual dysfunction, pain and muscle spasms, and difficulty breathing.
- Broken, Fractured, or Crushed Bones: This is a typical injury when a pedestrian is pinned between two vehicles, although it can happen in a variety of different types of accidents involving pedestrians and vehicles.
- Nerve Damage: Nerve damage is serious and is similar to the blunt-force traumas caused to a human body when impacted by a vehicle.
- Burns and Lacerations: These are common in car accidents with pedestrians, especially when the pedestrian comes into contact with the vehicle's exhaust system (or any other hot part) or when the pedestrian is dragged, even if just for a short distance.
The bottom line is that whenever you are injured, you should report everything you feel—from the top of your head to the bottom of your toes—to all of your doctors and let them decide the significance of your pain/discomfort, if any.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a parking lot accident in Miami, we urge you to Greenberg, Stone & Urbano as soon as possible. We may be able to assist you in recovering compensation for your injuries, medical bills, rehabilitation therapy, pain and suffering, and lost and/or futures wages.
Fatal Accident Involving Mother of Two $22 Million
Settlement for a 5-year-old quadriplegic daughter and her injured sister, and for the death of their mother in a horrific and devastating automobile accident.
Fatal Florida Turnpike Car Accident Results In Three Deaths $5.6 Million
Three elderly Miami women were killed when their vehicle was struck by another car on the Florida turnpike. This wrongful death case was tried to a verdict.
Debris From Tire Blowout Causes Motorcycle Accident $3.75 Million
We reached a $3.75 million settlement for a Miami man who was injured when he was caused to fall from his motorcycle.
Appointments Available for After Hours & Weekends
You Won’t Pay Unless We Recover Compensation
Free & Confidential Consultations
Spanish Services Available
Not Afraid to Go to Trial to Fight for What You Deserve
Over 130 Years of Combined Legal Experience